Sunday, June 2, 2013

Kale Chips

I realize I'm running amok with this kale, but it truly is wonderful stuff and grows so easily and abundantly. It makes a simple side dish or as I've already shared, can be worked right into the main entree. This time, though, I had to try the kale chips. It sounded easy enough and obviously healthier than potato chips. Every year about the end of May, I just crave hot dogs. There are some wonderful kosher hot dogs available these days, so I feel quite free to indulge every now and again. Even though hot dogs are made from beef or turkey, they still contain a ton of things I don't need to be eating, so I indulge the craving.

Here's the recipe. I'm thinking this might be one of those things, even anti-veggie kids would consider trying if they got to help make them!

One bunch of kale - washed, stemmed, and drained
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
Salt
Cookie Sheet

Preheat oven to 400°. Tear kale into large pieces. I make two to three pieces of each leaf. Place on cookie sheet in a pile. Drizzle olive oil over the leaves, gently toss the leaves to cover in oil and spread out over the cookie sheet. Place in hot oven for 5-7 minutes. Flip and bake 5 more minutes. Let cool and enjoy. This entire recipe contains fewer calories than one serving of regular potato chips. And they are good for you!



No comments:

Post a Comment