Sunday, June 23, 2013

Barley Kale

In light of my recent discover of GMO rice, I decided to research a few less popular grains that maybe weren't yet tampered with.  Barley, oats, and milo remain relatively untouched, so . . .
I tried boiling barley and using it like rice.  It actually was a little heartier than rice, and took longer to cook, but in the end results I found very little difference.  Now, I tried this with barley from the feed store, but it is available on the grocer's shelf.  





In 3qt. Sauce pan
1 Cup Barley, screened and cleaned.
2 1/2 C Water
Dash of Salt
Soak 2-3 hours

Bring to a boil, then cover simmer for 1 hour.
I added fresh Kale, replace the lid and turned off the burner
In one sauce pan I had both side dishes
Chicken breast on the grill.
Dishes were a snap!

No comments:

Post a Comment