Sunday, June 16, 2013

Kung Pao Chicken

I don't know about the rest of you, but MSG wreaks havoc with my nervous system . . . So, as much as I enjoy Chinese Cuisine, at least the American version with which I'm familiar, I pretty much have to enjoy Chinese food at home.

Kung Pao Chicken is a favorite and of course except for the rice, all goes in one pan.  I don't have a wok any more, so I use a skillet.

3 Tbs. Olive Oil
2 Red Peppers cut or broken in half
Tad of Garlic
2 Boneless Chicken breast cut in small pieces
1 medium Onion sliced lengthwise
3 stalks of Celery chopped
1 small Zucchini sliced
3 Cups vegetables.  I have used kale, snow peas, radish pods, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots. 
(I get creative with what I have on hand)
1/2 C Peanuts

Heat oil in skillet with red peppers and garlic.  When piping hot, add chicken pieces.  Stir in hot oil til just browned, add onion and celery.  Cover and cook 5 minutes, stir and cover for 5 more minutes of cooking.  Turn heat down to medium and leave cooking 10 minutes.  Add vegetables and peanuts with a bit of water.  Simmer 5-10 minutes until veggies are tender but not soft.

Serve over rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment