Monday, August 18, 2014

Glazed Chicken

I'm in canning mode, so everything is getting made by the pot full!  I've been craving an old recipe that my Grandma used to make and I still prepare and preserve, today.  She called it "Chili Sauce," but it doesn't taste like any chili I've ever eaten.  Anyway, I had been canning all week and had a pepper with a couple of spots that needed to be cut out.  I never use questionable produce in canning, as it can break down even after the canning process.  I posted to social media that I needed an idea for chicken with a pepper.  My friend, Gerry, from "Cooking with Gerry" fame, suggested I add onion and whatever else was around the kitchen.  That's when it occurred to me!  I had just a few fresh ripe roma tomatoes left from the last canning round.  So, I did the unprecedented.  I made a partial recipe of Grandma's Chili Sauce and made a glaze for a baked chicken.


 1 cup Roma tomatoes, scalded and peeled
1/2 green pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Simmer all ingredients for about an hour.  Bake chicken @ 325° for 1 hour.
Pour sauce over chicken and continue baking @ 300° for 30-45 minutes.  Tangy, fresh, and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment