Monday, October 7, 2013

Pumpkin Butter

This is an absolute favorite with my grandchildren and now my great granddaughter, so it now stands as a time honored tradition!

It was a proud moment for this great G-ma when my Granddaughter informed me that pumpkin butter was little Zoey's fist real food!  



My Granddaughter, Adeline, upon tasting pumpkin butter for the first time, informed me, I never needed to make pumpkin pie again.   Although when I first made it, I thought we'd use it like apple butter, on toast and biscuits, but to this day, all these years later, I don't think we've ever had it on anything but crackers.  When visiting, she would always go down to the cellar to fetch a pint to enjoy with her siblings on Ritz crackers with whipped cream.  Everything, including pumpkin butter, apparently is better when it "sits on a Ritz"


In all my reminiscing, I almost forgot to share the recipe.  Are you ready?

Use your favorite pumpkin pie recipe, just leave out the milk and eggs.

Puree fresh pumpkin.  I usually use 1/2 half medium pumpkin per batch and quadruple the measures of sugar and spices I use when making pumpkin pie.
You may have to add water if you use store bought canned pumpkin.  Usually fresh pureed pumpkin has enough moisture.  Simmer 30 - 45 minutes on medium low heat, stirring regularly so it doesn't stick.  It's best when thick.  Pressure can according to squash instructions or . . . Cool and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment