Sunday, October 27, 2013

Turkey in a Bag

Roasting a turkey is really pretty easy and considering the sales coming next month, it's really worth getting a couple if there's room in the freezer.  They keep for a few months frozen and the meat can be refrozen after baking.  Take advantage of a sale on turkeys will provide quite a few meals if frozen in smaller separate containers after baking.  For now, I buy my turkeys at the store, also.  I've raised them in the past, but they are an expensive project to get them up to weight and they are a lot more work to process than chickens, so for now, I'll take advantage of the sales.  I don't know how they can sell those birds so cheap!

I'd like to share my favorite method for roasting a turkey.  Clean up is so easy!  I tried those roasters a few times, but I always go back to the method my Grandma used.  

Remove giblets and place turkey in appropriately sized glass baking dish.  Slide dish into brown paper bag and staple closed.  Bake at 350° for 15 minutes per pound.  Do not set the oven any higher and if you have one that runs hot, remember Fahrenheit 451.  That is the temperature at which paper burns!  Remove from oven.  Tear away sack to find a deliciously golden brown turkey that is steaming and moist.  No basting, no butter, no nothing, just the turkey.  The glass pan containing all the drippings and stock will bake to perfection, the dressing, and as I mentioned, it is such an easy clean up.  







Before






                                                               



                                                                       After

No comments:

Post a Comment