Monday, July 22, 2013

Mac & Cheese

As "conveniences" become a way of life, we forget what we give up for those conveniences.  My Grandchildren have given me the compliment of all times, in that my Mac & Cheese is better than school's.  My Grandson actually said the Mac & Cheese at school was his favorite, until he had mine!  The secret to my amazing Mac & Cheese is the absence of a box.  Many have forgotten, it doesn't have to come in a box!
My Aunt made the best Mac & Cheese when I was a kid, and that was back before the boxes.  School food didn't hold a candle to anything made at home in the 60's.

Here's the closest I can get to the delicious Mac & Cheese made by my Aunt.

1 pound shell pasta, not the tiny shells, but not the huge ones, either.
12 oz. grated cheddar cheese
4 Tbs. butter
3/4 C milk
Salt & Pepper

I use a pan that is both stove top and oven safe.  Boil pasta until done, but still firm.  Drain most of the water, but not all, leaving about 1/2 in the bottom of the pan.  Preheat oven to 350°, stir in butter and grated cheese and cover for 10 to 15 minutes until butter and cheese are melted.  Stir again, add milk, stirring as you add.  Place in oven for twenty minutes with lid, remove lid, stir and bake until golden on top, about 30 minutes to 45 minutes.  It's not as quick as from a box, but the end result is delicious, and it's still only 1 pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment