Sunday, March 3, 2013

Cholent with Curry

I had Cholent some time back and it was a comfort type food to me, but to be honest, I thought it was a bit bland. So, after all these years, I thought I'd give it another go, with a bit of a kick. I don't put eggs in mine, but many people do. Here's the recipe I came up with and it addresses my need concerning Shabbat. It cooks all day on Preparation day, so dinner is already happening as I do other things to prepare. I'm prepared for Shabbat guests, in that it's a pretty full pot, and with challeh, it's plenty to satisfy many. I can always come up with a side at the last minute if needed. It also stays warming over night or in a crock pot for all of Shabbat if so desired. I'm really working on developing some recipes that are easy to prepare, simmer for hours, and easy clean up. I like "One Pot for Shabbat."

Now, here's the Cholent with Curry

1 Cupt Dried Chickpeas
1 tsp. Baking soda
3 Tbs. Olive oil
1 1/2 lb. beef roast cut in 8-10 pieces, or stew meat
2 onions
2 1/2 lb. red potatoes quartered
1 lb. Baby Carrots
Salt & Pepper
1 1.2 tsp. Paprika
1 1/2 tsp. Turmeric
1 tsp. Curry
1 tsp. Cumin
3 Garlic cloves

Thursday evening before going to bed in a large pot (stove top and oven safe) soak . . .
1 Cup dried chickpeas (about a quart of water with 1 tsp. baking soda)

Early Friday morning. Pour beans with water into a bowl.
In this large pot, add Olive oil over medium/high heat
Slice onions and brown them (Remove)
Brown meat with spices
Remove from heat, Set meat aside with spices. (Do not wash or rinse pot)
Pour beans and water back into empty pot. Layer the meat on top of the beans. Add potatoes, then carrots. Do not stir or blend, just layer. Add water to just cover the potatoes. Pour onions and remaining oil with spices over the top. Bake for 1 hour at 325°-350°, then turn down to 225°-250° and bake until time to bake challeh.
Before turning oven to challeh baking temperature, check cholent. If there is still quite a bit of liquid, remove lid and leave Cholent in the oven while baking challeh. If minimal liquid is present, leave lid on while baking challeh.
After challeh is baked, turn oven back down to just keep Cholent warm 200°-225° til dinner. Serve with challeh. Will keep in warm oven over night . . .

This can be done in a crock pot also, but I'm not so good at crock pot cooking.




No comments:

Post a Comment