Sunday, September 21, 2014

Breadsticks

                                    Contributed by Tammy Long

 I used my pizza dough recipe and rolled out stick shapes instead. Sprinkled with garlic powder. And then after baking brushed really good with butter.
I can give you the pizza dough recipe if you like. It's actually a Wolfgang Puck recipe. I tweak it a bit.

1 pk Dry Yeast
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons of Honey or sugar ( I use a little more)
3 cups of flour (rounded figure)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup olive oil or butter (little more if butter)

Mix
Knead
Rise
Shape (add garlic powder if using)
Second rise
Bake 425 
Butter


Then add about 2 3/4 cup all purpose unbleached flour, about 1/4 cup olive oil (or you can use melted butter, but I'd use a bit more if doing butter) 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and start mixing. I use a wooden spoon to start. Add a little flour as you go. And once it starts coming together in a ball (it'll still be a little sticky) then turn it out onto your work surface to knead. Add only a little flour at the time. That is key. No more flour than absolutely necessary. But you will need to continue to dust it to keep from sticking to hands and word surface. Knead for at least ten minutes, Place back in bowl with a little olive oil to keep from sticking. Cover and let rise at least 2 hours, preferably more. At least an hour before you're ready to bake them, punch dough down, knead a few rounds, and then let it sit again for about 5 minutes. Then knead a few seconds and cut in half, and keeping halving each piece until you have sixteen pieces. You may need a sprinkling of flour again, but only if necessary. Roll out each piece into lengths about 7 or so inches. I really just tried to size it to fit the pan I was using cross ways. Place on a lightly oiled pan. Sprinkle with garlic powder, or not. Let rise at least an hour or until ready to bake. Preheat oven at 425 and Bake about 12 to 15 minutes. ( We both know how ovens differ so use your own discretion here) I just kept and eye on them until they were as brown as I wanted. Then I had some melted butter ready to bathe them in

No comments:

Post a Comment