Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Broccoli Casserole Soup



I just love some of the seasonal casseroles. I remember years ago, when my former mother-in-law introduced me to broccoli casserole. I prefer my veggies straight, but for atmosphere, visual appeal, and portions, a casserole centered around a vegetable is the next best thing. I was chatting with my neighbor a few weeks ago and he said he was warming up left overs from a family gathering and going to enjoy his Grandma's broccoli casserole. It was cold and I was busy "wri-bernating," which always calls for a pot o' something on the stove, but broccoli casserole sounded delicious. So, now there is Broccoli Casserole Soup. The great thing about most of my recipes is they take little preparation time, and with one pot, little clean up time, as well!

Broccoli Casserole Soup
In Soup Kettle or Dutch Oven

6 Cups Water - bring to a boil
2 Cups Rice to boiling water
When Rice is done, add
1 Large Broccoli head or 2 crowns to simmering pot (actually I recommend a lot more broccoli when available because it's delicious)
Simmer 5- 10 minutes

Most of the water should now be absorbed into the rice and evaporated in steam
Add 8 oz. grated cheddar cheese
1/2 Stick of Butter
1 quart of Milk.
Salt and Pepper to taste

When cheese is melted, soup is ready. Garnish with shredded cheese, if desired and serve with crackers

(HOME)


No comments:

Post a Comment